Monday, October 18, 2010

Book Covers

I spent some time a few months ago looking for book cover patterns online. There are a lot out there. I tried a few different ones, but I never really liked the results. Either I couldn't seem to get it to fit right, the fabric seemed too thin for a cover, or it was too much work.

I recently came across a new book cover tutorial and decided to do it for a craft group project. I liked the way the book covers turned out with this one. The tutorial can be found here.
I made three different covers. The first cover I made was a little looser than I wanted. I felt like I had just a bit too much fabric left at the top and bottom. For the other two covers I made, I used a 5/8" seam allowance instead of the 1/2" seam allowance the tutorial recommends. They turned out perfectly.

I had fun decorating my covers as well. You can see that I made one with a fabric/button flower. I decorated another one by appliqueing felt. The last one I embroidered my sister's name. All three ways turned out well and didn't take very long to do.

 Book covers are a great way to personalize and protect books and journals. My sister's cover was just for a notebook that she could use for her drawings and stories but she thought it was a lot cooler than just a plain book.
 
These will not be the last book covers I make like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment