A few years ago, I lamented that I couldn't find a tissue box cover that matched our bathroom and fit the bigger boxes of tissues. My sweet husband measured the tissue box we had in the bathroom and made me a cover out of a light, thin piece of plywood.
I sanded it, filled in gaps, sealed it, painted it and varnished it.
I then proceeded to never find that size of tissues again.
For three years, we have had tissues that were either too tall or too short for the cover.
My sweet husband again made a tissue box. It's been sitting in the bathroom, unfinished. I couldn't decide what to do with this one. It sat so long I almost forgot that I hadn't meant to leave it like that.
I decided to paint it to match a few little decorative plates I have on the wall in the bathroom.
I painted a solid layer of blue paint. It wasn't the exact color I wanted, so I used crackle medium and painted a closer-to-the-desired shade on top. Then I dry brushed some brown paint on there too.
I used vinyl to make a stencil and painted my design. When the paint was dry (okay, kind of dry), I peeled off the vinyl. It worked really well. I used my Silhouette, but you could do the same with an Exacto knife and some elbow grease.
Blowing my nose has never been so enjoyable. :)
I mod podged fabric to this tissue box for our bedroom. You can see that it too, has a few height problems. It was made pre-buy-all-our-tissues-from-Costco times. I think I'll put some ribbon or lace along the bottom to take care of that.