Thursday, June 23, 2011

i am momma hat

Cheri at I am Momma, Hear Me Roar made a tutorial for an upcycled boys hat.  I originally decided not to make it because I thought I'd never be able to make one that cute, and then I'd be disappointed.  She's so good at embroidered embellishments.  I keep seeing other people try to copy her too, and no one has made one quite as awesome.

Last month, my husband decided to take our 2 1/2 year-old to a fathers and sons campout.  There was a possibility of rain and chilly weather in the evening.  It was too warm for a winter fleece hat, and the only other hat he had was lost at Home Depot the last time he'd gone with his dad. I decided to overcome my crafting jealousy and give this hat a try.  It's made of knit so it's perfect for Spring weather.
Cheri made a hat for a one year-old and a 5-7 year-old.  She gives pattern pieces for each one.  I figured my son was in the middle of the two, so I made a hat that was in the middle of the two sizes.  He must have a big head because it was tight on him.  I ended up making the 5-7 year-old width and kept it to the shorter lengths she suggests.  I also recommend doing the double layers.  It just looks better than one, I think.

I was sewing the last button on about 5 minutes before they walked out the door, so I didn't attempt any other embellishments.  I also snapped these pictures quickly before he left in case the hat didn't make it home.  
He's so happy about my taking pictures instead of heading out the door to go camping with dad...

2 comments: