Sunday, June 6, 2010

Crocheted Headband



I started seeing a lot of people wearing crocheted headbands this year. Some were really thick and some pretty thin. I made up a basic pattern. You can take it and tweak it for your needs.

Crocheted Headband
This pattern made a headband that measured 21 1’2” long to fit a 22-23” head. If you want it shorter, decrease the number of “middle rows”.

Yarn: approx 3 oz. medium weight yarn
Hook size: G

Row 1: chain 6
Row 2: sc in 2nd chain from hook, sc in next 4, ch 1, turn (5st)
Row 3: sc in first 2, ch 1, skip next stitch, sc in last 2, ch 1, turn [if using a larger button, you may need to make a bigger hole.] (5st)
Row 4-9: sc in each stitch across, ch 1, turn (5 st)
Row 10: 2 sc in first st, 1 sc in next 3, 2 sc in last, ch 1, turn (7 st)
Row 11-16: sc in each stitch across, ch 1, turn (7 st)
Row 17: 2 sc in first st, 1 sc in next 5, 2 sc in last, ch 1, turn (9 st)
Row 18-23: sc in each stitch across, ch 1, turn (9 st)
Row 24: 2 sc in first st, 1 sc in next 7, 2 sc in last, ch 1, turn (11 st)
Row 25-30: sc in each stitch across, ch 1, turn (11 st)
Row 31: 2 sc in first st, 1 sc in next 9, 2 sc in last, ch 1, turn (13 st)
Row 32-37: sc in each stitch across, ch 1, turn (13 st)
(If the headband is as wide as you want it, do not increase in row 38, simply continue with 13 across).
Row 38: 2 sc in first st, 1 sc in next 13, 2 sc in last, ch 1, turn (15 st)
Row 39-62: sc in each st across, ch 1, turn (decrease number of rows to make a shorter band)
Row 63: join first 2 st, 1 sc in next 11, join last 2 st, ch 1, turn (13 st)
Row 64-69: sc in each stitch across, ch 1, turn (13 st)
Row 70: join first 2 st, 1 sc in next 9, join last 2 st, ch 1, turn (11 st)
Row 71-76: sc in each stitch across, ch 1, turn (11 st)
Row 77: join first 2 st, 1 sc in next 7, join last 2 st, ch 1, turn (9 st)
Row 78-83: sc in each stitch across, ch 1, turn (9st)
Row 84: join first 2 st, 1 sc in next 5, join last 2 st, ch 1, turn (7 st)
Row 85-90: sc in each stitch across, ch 1, turn (7 st)
Row 91: join first 2 st, 1 sc in next 3, join last 2 st, ch 1, turn (5st)
Row 92-100: sc in each stitch across, ch 1, turn (5 st)
If desired, single crochet around the border of the headband.
Finish off. Sew a button on with yarn in desired location. (3/4” button works well)
Created by Celeste Bishop 2/10

You can attach any flowers or decorations you want to add. I've used these two flower patterns from Lion Brand Yarn:
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-rosettes.html?noImages=0&r=1
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60020.html?noImages=
You can see from the last picture that I also tried a ruffly edge. I liked it, but my husband said it made me look old fashioned.

34 comments:

  1. Hi Celeste,
    Great project, thanks for sharing.
    Blessings from Costa Rica,
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Celeste!
    I liked so much, thank you!
    Hugs from Costa Rica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. preciosasssss......graciasss...besos.

    agradecida por que compartes..bendiciones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...thank you so much for this! Just what I was looking for!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is great! It is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for making this a CROCHET pattern! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just finished my headband. It turned out super cute! I think I'll make a few more (for myself and friends). Thanks for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute!!! Thanks for putting it on here where i can get it and make one. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable! I made one last night in about an hour and I'm wearing it today! Thanks for the pattern and the really cool idea. :) Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for this! I've been looking for a good pattern for this headband but all I've found are knitting patterns. I tried making up my own pattern but rather than gradually increasing/decreasing like yours, I increased/decreased it quickly in a triangle shape, which worked, but I didn't like it as much. Thank you thank you thank you! :]

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just made this headband, and I love it! However, my decreasing looks a little jolted. I think that might be because I don't know exactly how to join two stitches in the same row. The only way I've ever 'joined' is when making a circle. Can you explain that at all? I used a slip stitch through the two in each row while decreasing. Is that right?
    It did look better after I did a single crochet all around the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ShellBell - if you insert your hook into the first stitch & draw up a loop, & then insert your hook into the second stitch & draw up a loop, you'll have 3 loops - then yarn over & draw the yarn through the three loops on your hook. Here's the link that I used to make sure I was SC decreasing properly. This site is AWESOME for any questions you have on any crochet stitch. http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=16

    ReplyDelete
  12. THANK YOU!!!! I want to make one of these SO badly and really didn't want to pay $5 for the pattern. I'm SO excited I found your pattern, so thank you thank you thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for posting this pattern. My daughter asked me to make one for her and I was hoping I could find it online. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been making these ever since I found you!! Thank you so much for making this pattern and sharing with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love love this, but I have one problem, maybe someone can tell me where I went wrong...IT was so long that it wrapped around my head two times almost...I followed the directions to the T, so I am not sure what I am doing wrong... I love this and I want one in every color imaginable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had the same problem as "anonymous", way too big. Definitely have to make it shorter with less rows in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I had the same problem! But I realized it before I was done so I took out quite a bit in the middle, and tried to guess how much to do from there on since it's supposed to measure 21 1/2" when done. Fun project! I need to figure out how to make it kids size now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this turns out way too big every time I try and make it... how do I fix that??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crocheted Headband
      This pattern made a headband that measured 21 1’2” long to fit a 22-23” head. If you want it shorter, decrease the number of “middle rows”.

      Delete
    2. Also, your stitches may be looser than the pattern.

      Delete
  19. I absolutely adore this headband! I've made one for myself and I'm in the process of making one for my little girlie! Thank you so much for sharing this amazing tutorial. I even pinned it to make sure that I could easily find it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. my grand-daughter found this instruction making the headband all i need is the flower. looks like you have great ideas Celeste. Thank you very much. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year. God bless you . . Linda Fike

    ReplyDelete
  21. I saw this pattern and I would really like to try it with the first flower pattern, but the problem is I'm a beginner at this and I'm not sure how to read lion brand's pattern. I can understand your pattern for the headband though.
    Is there any way you could make your own post on how to make the flower and attach it?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Muy bonita ! No puedo seguir explicaciones escritas, por la tradución, los graficos, creo son más simples ! Gracias !!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. starting at row 63 it says to join the first 2 stitches...what does that mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means count two over and connect the two with a stitch so it will decrease in size

      Delete
  24. I love the edging you used, would you kindly tell us how to add this? Thks for sharing!♥

    ReplyDelete
  25. It was really too long but I'll figure something out.

    ReplyDelete
  26. If your headband was to big make sure you are using the correct size crochet hook. After I used the right hook mine turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  27. EZPZ! Thank you for a great and simple pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks, I just used this pattern to make one :)

    ReplyDelete